Iowa Birth Injury Lawyers
Birth is one of the great miracles of life. It’s also an extremely complex medical procedure that requires a team of professionals working in unison to protect the health of both mother and child. This team is led by an OB-GYN or a midwife who must be ready to make crucial decisions at a moment’s notice.
When highly trained medical professions make mistakes during the birthing process, it can dramatically alter the course of a child’s life. Birth injuries may result in lifelong difficulties for the child that impact their physical, emotional, and intellectual development.
At Leventhal Puga Braley P.C., our Iowa birth injury attorneys share a deep commitment to the welfare of babies and their mothers. Our partner Jim Puga has dedicated much of his practice to representing children who suffer birth injuries, and attorneys Jim Leventhal, Bruce Braley, Alex Wilschke, Brian Aleinikoff, and Molly Greenblatt are all members of the Birth Trauma Litigation Group of the American Association for Justice. Jim has chaired the Birth Trauma Litigation Group and he currently serves on its Board of Directors.
If your child suffers from birth injuries in Iowa, they may be the victim of negligent medical care. And we want to hear about it. Contact the law offices of Leventhal Puga Braley P.C. today by calling (877) 433-3906. Your initial consultation is free and there are no upfront fees when we take on a client. You won’t owe us anything unless we win you a settlement.
Most birth injuries are caused by medical errors such as:
- Failure to respond to changing circumstances
- Poor communication between nurses, doctors, and staff
- Failure to properly read the baby’s vital signs
- Failure to screen for risk factors during pregnancy such as maternal disabilities
- Failure to diagnose or treat a maternal infection
- Failure to properly use birth devices such as forceps and vacuum extractors
- Failure to employ proper birthing maneuvers when baby is in distress
- Failure to perform a timely C-section
Mistakes and careless behavior by doctors, nurses, or staff in the delivery room may cause devastating injuries. Birth injuries that result from medical negligence during labor and delivery include:
- Brain damage
- Erb’s palsy and Klumpke’s palsy
- Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)
- Brachial plexus injuries
- Cephalohematoma (brain bleeding)
- Shoulder dystocia
- Caput succedaneum
- Facial paralysis
- Spinal injury
- Jaundice and kernicterus
- Cerebral palsy
- Bone fractures
- Hearing damage
- Impaired vision
- Nerve injury
Some birth injuries may be treatable. But in many cases, the child will suffer lifelong physical and cognitive disabilities.
The overall costs of a child’s birth injury can be staggering. This may include:
- Medical costs including doctor’s office visits, surgeries, medical devices, physical therapy, wheelchairs, braces, splints, glasses, and hearing aids
- Non-medical costs including home and auto modifications, 24/7 care assistance, special education services, speech therapy, diagnostic tests, and developmental assistance
- Indirect costs such as lost wages and time missed from work
The people who work in a delivery room are well-trained medical professionals. There’s simply no excuse for careless mistakes that drastically impair the life of a child.
The statute of limitations for birth injuries and wrongful death in Iowa is two years. As soon as you contact the award-winning trial lawyers at Leventhal Puga Braley P.C., we can start investigating your case.
Give our Iowa medical malpractice lawyers a call at (877) 433-3906 to learn more today. At Leventhal Puga Braley P.C., we’re on your side.